Thursday, January 22, 2009

Left Side Chewing OR Life Post-Root Canal

So it's done. And it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be. The worst part really was keeping my mouth open that long--my jaw is pretty sore now. But the dentist assured me that my toothache should no longer be a problem--so long as I don't chew anything potentially mouth-shattering.

Wow...there are so many crude jokes lurking in this paragraph I don't know what to do with myself.

*****************

I won the caption contest over at Avoiding the Muse! If that isn't a sign of good things to come in 2009, then I don't know what is...some credit should go to a the marathon television-watching sessions of my childhood as my caption was a hybrid of the Calvin Klein BE commercials and the Seinfeld episode where Kramer tries to pitch a cologne that smells like the beach. Prize is a $25 gift certificate to amazon--perfect for buying the books for Kelly Cherry's class on poetic-sequence. I'll let you know what she is having us read once I find out (tomorrow?), but maybe I'll splurge and get something that I want. Any poetry book recommendations?


******************

So I've hit a lull in my running. Without a race to train for, I haven't been able to push myself to go out on long runs (7-10 milers) in 30 degree weather. I'm considering my options: toughen up and get some leggings, join a gym and do the treadmill thing, OR take a break from running and start playing basketball again. I really miss playing basketball, whenever I was training for a race I wasn't really allowed to play b/c it wreaked hell on my ankles b/c they were no longer used to lateral movement (a phrase I now use far too often, such are the perils of marrying a physical therapist). Touring Gold's Gym tomorrow.

*******************

*plish*

2 comments:

C. Dale said...

You still need to email me to set up the gift certificate! Check http:www.cdaleyoung.com for the address.

Luke Johnson said...

Hey C.Dale--

I sent an email a few days ago but it must have gotten swallowed up by the internet. Sent another today. Thanks for checking in!

-Luke