Friday, July 2, 2010

Seattling Down

Here I am, Northwest, in my basement studio in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. There's a nearly year-old Redbone Coonhound sleeping on the bed in his new city-dog harness. Lots of big life-and-career type things seem to be happening all at once (I want my MTV!). I'm not sure if I can even talk about it. I still don't have a job. I owe lots of people emails. I ate two Seattle dogs last night, which is a hot dog with onions and cream cheese on it. I talked with the street vendors for at least 10 minutes about regional hot dog differences. I think I really like it here.

Wanna read a brand new poem before it disappears? Sure ya do. To *plish* shortly...

*plish*


****************


I stole the title for this post from Cori Winrock. I made fun, then promptly, stole it. Read the poem at that link. It's good.


****************


Killer first line of the moment:

"Here where it is always Bethlehem,"

from Joe Weil's "Christmas, 1977"
(The Plumber's Apprentice, NYQ Books, 2009)

****************


There's more I want to say about it, I'm just not sure what.


****************


via Huffington Post

I think "To Kill a Mockingbird" might be the first book I ever loved. Strange to see negativity towards a book that, at least to me, is an iconic childhood novel, especially if you have a connection to the American South...

****************


Two guilty-pleasure websites:



Both emblematic of larger problems? Probably. Still funny? Definitely.


****************



2 comments:

Matthew said...

I dig the new poem! And now I want to visit Rupert. But in the exact moments you describe.

insertbrackets said...

Hah, I have been via'ed by Luke Johnson! Confirmation I've made it to the big time :-D