Monday, May 10, 2010

Walking Silly and Other Haberdashery

Big day for rejection, received 'no thanks' correspondence from: Bakeless Prize, Wisconsin Creative Writing Fellowships, Provincetown Fellowships, and a plain ol' poetry submission at DIAGRAM. No huge surprises here, though I was a bit disappointed that I just got the form letter from P-town. Last year they let me know I made it to final consideration, so it feels a bit like I'm regressing. Regardless, all venues/institutions I have great respect for and will likely try again...

Congrats to the winners! (Bakeless, Wisconsin)

***********

2 weeks left of school. Roughly a month until I leave the East Coast for Seattle. Recently I've been processing all of the things I'll miss about this part of the country. Aside from friends and family, the most costly losses: barbeque (Hursey's is my go-to), the Blue Ridge Mountains and all the glorious aspects of Appalachia (bluegrass, rocking chairs, hound-dogs, porch-sitting, remarking about how hot it is, biscuits, iced tea, waving at strangers, etc.), ACC Basketball (I don't think I can take Pac-10 basketball seriously, I mean, I'll try...), and long road-runs past cow pastures down to the river, where it's shallow enough to walk but deep enough to swim.

Though, I was born in Ithaca, New York, I'll always claim North Carolina and Virginia as home. Is that weird? (I still love Ithaca--it just feels very distant in miles and memory...)


***********

Killer first line of the moment:

"We have lost even this twilight."

from Pablo Neruda's "We Have Lost Even"
translated by W.S. Merwin


***********


via Slate


***********

Well I missed the memo on it being International Monty Python Status Update Day, so as penance, here's a clip. I had dinner with John Cleese once when I was 14. He was one of the visiting ministers my father brought onto campus while he was at Cornell (along with Harold Bloom, William Buckley, Arianna Huffington, and Peter Gomes). I remember being surprised he didn't do the silly walk the whole evening, not even once.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

"down to the river, where it's shallow enough to walk but deep enough to swim." I'll move wherever that happens to be true. Though I'm still glad you are on your way to join us out here.

newzoopoet said...

Sorry to hear it. DIAGRAM likes to tell me no, too.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Bummer on the rejections. It's been that way for me too this week. Must be going around.

Beautiful description of your connection to place. Good luck with the transition.