Monday, May 3, 2010

Archival Awesome

Had a great weekend at Merlefest in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Almost as good as all the great music (Highlights: Scythian, Kruger Brothers, Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes, Bearfoot, Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers, Doc Watson) was the drive down NC Route 16 over the Eastern Continental Divide. Reminded me how much I love this place, these mountains. I should have taken pictures...but didn't.

Best musical moment: Elvis Costello playing "New Amsterdam" into a cover of The Beatles' "Hide Your Love Away"


************

Yet another reason I love Beloit Poetry Journal: they post all their archived issues online. So my poem from last year's summer issue (and better yet, the whole Summer 2009 issue) is now available online, as is the great Albert Goldbarth dramatic monologue he read at AWP, from the newest issue...

Addendum: This poem Karl Elder read at AWP is amazing. I need to find more of his work.

They take online submissions now, too. It makes me want to submit something to them again. Darn tootin'.

*************

Sometimes I can’t tell why I’m exhausted. Is it from the 100-plus miles per week I run to prepare my body for the grueling demands of a 26.2 mile race? Or is it from the insomnia that pulls me out of bed at 3 a.m. to pound out a 20 miler on the treadmill at a 24-hour fitness club before most people have eaten breakfast? It’s hard to say.

via NYT

There was an article about this (running and insomnia) in Runner's World awhile back. Interesting to see it here...


*************

Killer first line of the moment:

"The sky's light behind the mountain"

from Louise Gluck's "Threshing"
(A Village Life, FSG, 2009)


*************

via John Gallaher

"An alien trinket of unimaginable cultural significance..."

No comments: