Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey Words


Giblets. Wattle. Snood. Gobble. Pin Feathers. Poult. Sandwich.


*******************

This is way late, but I won the caption contest over at Avoiding the Muse! Thanks to all who cast votes, and to C.Dale for holding such a cool contest. Thanks to Eduardo, too, for kicking ass throughout. Now, on to the next level of captioning...

*******************

Back-alley crossword dust-up. I never knew. (Only follow if you, like me, are a crossword junkie).

(via Slate)


*****************

Finally reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I know I'm way late to the party, but good God, I dig. A question on the footnotes: I read them, enjoy them, but did anyone read the book and skip them? Not quite sure how much weight I should put on them... Anyway, a glimpse:

"Life was not always pleasant. Plenty of acts of violence, plenty of beatdowns and knifings. He himself survived any number of gank-attempts, and after each shoot-out, after each drive-by, he always combed his hair and straightened his tie, a dandy's reflex. He was a true gangster, gully to the bone, lived the life all those phony rap acts can only rhyme about"



********************

Killer first line of the moment:

"And this, then, is the wonder of evolution:"

from Mary-Lou Brockett-Devine's "Crabs"
(RATTLE 32, Winter 2009)


*******************

Because there's never a bad time...



1 comment:

yurchie said...

The footnotes are important for attitude and historical back story, but also include some key plot points. Lovely novel.