Wednesday, December 17, 2008

storySouth

So I found out today that storySouth is changing editors. Right now they've got a "best of" up on the site, featuring poems, stories, and essays published by the magazine in the past seven years. It's really a feast. Definitely check it out, but set aside some time because you're going to want to read it all.

***********

Former (as of about three weeks ago, it seems) poetry editor of storySouth, Dan Albergotti has started a very cool new online journal based at Coastal Carolina University called Waccamaw. So far they've published some great stuff, including poetry by big-shots Natasha Trethewey, Jack Gilbert, and Linda Gregg, also some lesser-known amazing poets like Kevin Boyle, Rhett Trull and Brian Turner. Check it out.

***********

To keep with the over-arching theme of this post. Drew Perry, a teacher of mine at Elon, will be taking over as the fiction editor at storySouth. This is very cool. I borrowed virtually everything I do as a teacher from Drew--whether or not this is a compliment remains to be seen, I get to see my student evaluations after grades are in--but I know this ensures the continuing vitality of storySouth as one of the best online outlets for literature.

***********

Pandora pick of the week: Ellis Paul
Reading (still): "About Grace" by Anthony Doerr--cannot stress enough how much I'm enjoying this book. Every single sentence does work. The language, the scenes, are so incredibly alive.

***********

RSVPed to a Christmas party at the President's house for "faculty, staff, and retirees." Fellow teaching fellow and poet Will Schutt and I plan on attending in our holiday best. Should be interesting.

1 comment:

Drew Perry said...

you found me -- you're now one of the few who knows about my little quiet project.

i know i owe you ideas about that stack of poems -- end of the year has been insane. i'll get at you as soon as i can.

i like 'proof' --