Thursday, June 16, 2011

Psychologically Neutral



For the first time in about seven months, I'm writing new poems. Hallelujah Hallelujah.


***********

To eat in and around Seattle, which I did recently and recommend heartily, isn’t merely to eat well. It is to experience something that even many larger, more gastronomically celebrated cities and regions can’t offer, not to this degree: a profound and exhilarating sense of place.

-via NYT

************

Why the government is involved in art is beyond me. I also think it's pointless for a human to paint scenes of nature when they could just go outside and stand in it.

Ron Swanson 2012

************

Killer first line of the moment:

"It's not that Monet cared that much about stacks of hay."

-from Dean Young's "Opal"
(Fall Higher, Copper Canyon Press, 2011)

************

My relationship with Twitter has never been as fraught, probably because being "followed" as opposed to "friended" is more psychologically neutral. I'm used to being followed by my enemies. The minimalism of Twitter also appeals to me—I fear the day its developers improve it so you can use it for CAD/CAM and to build PowerPoint decks. It gets to the point in 140 characters, out-Hemingwaying Hemingway. Unfollowing somebody who has become an annoyance is a one-click job. Another plus: Folks can't put their vacation photos directly on Twitter. Yet.

via Slate


***********

From the comments:

""The difference between a fiddle and a violin is that you can spill beer on a fiddle".--Tim O'Brien

1 comment:

Liz said...

That's awesome to hear you're writing again, Luke! Awesome DRM video, thanks for posting this. Hope you're doing well!