Friday, August 7, 2009

Dispatches from Nearly 2,000 Feet

Here in Hico, WV (Elevation: 1,818 ft.) thinking about moving to Mouth of Wilson, Virginia (Elevation: 3,400 ft.) in just about a week. Excited to be moving up in the world, or at least in the mountains. Things I will miss about living in a tent: the sound of rain on the tarp, writing poems longhand by the light of my headlamp, wildlife. Things I will not miss about living in my tent: the dampness (book covers curl, t-shirts absorb, sleeping bags dampen), the very ferocious looking spider living between my tent and my rain fly, the limited and equally depressing bathroom options.


*******************

Save Pete the Moose!




*******************

On one of the things I will miss: out in my tent, I've been writing more routinely than usual. Here's what last night turned up, a very early draft, to disappear shortly...

*plish*


****************

Killer opening line of the moment:

"Days pass and years vanish, and we sleep-"

from Alan Shapiro's "Invocation"
(Tantalus in Love, Mariner Books, 2005)


****************

T-minus 13 days until Puppy.

No comments: