Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday Madness



Above is a picture of Carl Dennis giving me a copy of his New and Selected Poems, with Rick Trethewey smiling in the background.


********************

Now normally the above book link would likely have been to amazon. But as of their recent shenanigans, it seems very easy for me to switch to Powell's. I urge you to do the same.


********************

Congrats, Keith!


*********************

NC Poet Laureate Kathryn Stripling Byer has been kind enough to post my review of her latest book (from the Hollins Critic) on her blog, and to say some very nice things about it. I recently had a conversation with a poet-friend in which she asked me if I thought there were too many positive reviews out there. I don't. There's simply so much good poetry out there that I don't think gets enough attention, so I would rather do my best to bring that poetry to light than invest all the time and effort of writing and publishing a review about a book I don't think people should read.


*********************

I've joined a weekly poem prompting group, which on top of finishing my thesis (due May 5th, gasp) may be overkill. But then again, I'm always up for a writing push. This weeks prompt was to fall in love with the first inanimate object you see. Here's what I came up with, with tweaking still to be done, and as per usual, to disappear shortly:

*plish*


********************

Reading at my alma mater, Elon University, on Thursday afternoon. Very excited about this.

3 comments:

bri c said...

i stumbled upon your blog somehow sometime in the last month, and i've read it enough that i feel like i should say hi. so hi! and i love that poem.

Luke Johnson said...

Hi Brittany! Thanks for stopping by, glad to hear you like the poem. It's gone *plish* for now, but hopefully I can keep tinkering with it. Congrats on Wisconsin, too!

Keith Montesano said...

Thanks, Luke. Details soon.

Is that you drinking the Starr Hill Amber? Big fan of SH and that brew also.