Wednesday, July 21, 2010

While Listening to Grace Potter

Not much to say today, except thank you to any and all for their kind comments, e-mails, and facebook commentary about these new poems I've been posting. It's a bit scary having the poems up there when they're so fresh on the page, but it's also a great sort of accountability for me. I'm relatively happy with the efforts and the new directions in which they seem to be heading. Trapped in couplets, yes, but verging on a refocusing of attention, I think: a project, a seed. I think some of this has to do with my recent manuscript news, the knowledge that After the Ark is going to be a book has given me a new ruthlessness with that body of writing, a willingness to cut a good poem if it doesn't quite fit, as well as a feeling of liberation with the new writing. And, I promise, I'll post details on here as soon as I get the go-ahead from editor/publisher. If you really must know immediately, shoot me an email, yo.

About to get going on today's poem...

************************

Killer first line of the moment:

"were lifted over the valley, its steepling dustdevils"

from D.A. Powell's "chronic"
(Chronic, Graywolf Press, 2009)

(I'm just reading this book for the first time, now. Not only are the poems exquisite, but the book itself is gorgeous. Man.)

************************

Oh yeah.

No comments: