Monday, July 12, 2010

Basement Dispatch

Found this over at Avoiding the Muse:


I love Anthony Doerr's work. His stories are rich and expansive. His novel is simply gorgeous. I am very excited to read this book. Pre-order.


**************

Doerr lines I love:

"What use are memories when memories can do little more than fade?"

"He began to dream of snow: ice glazing a parking meter; slush in the treads of Sandy's boots. There was the feeling of turning up blinds and seeing the whiteness of everything--snow on fence posts, snow limning branches--a banquet of light. He thought of his mother, and the way the mountains looked from the rooftop of his childhood: shimmering, insubstantial as ghosts."

"To see again--to discern a tree or face or cloud with an acceptable level of clarity--was the smallest kind of revival, a tiny breakthrough, but enough to start happiness in his heart--the joy of recognizing things, an improvement in his relationship with the world."

Can't find my copy of The Shell Collector, his wonderful collection of stories, though I fear I've foisted it upon so many people that maybe I didn't get it back from a borrower...

**************

On the prompting of Deb Ager over at 32 Poems, I've taken up the call to write a poem a day for the next 30...usually I don't make it very far with these sorts of things, but I'm going to give it a go. I'll post the efforts here until the next day, when they'll come down...


**************

This is sort of buried, but, a press has offered to publish my first book. I am floored and figuring things out. But, yeah, I felt I should say that as it's been a topic here for so long...details to come, but it's looking like After the Ark will likely be published in Spring/Summer of 2011.


**************

Listened to this album again this morning and was reminded how amazing it is; this song, especially. If you haven't before, make sure to watch Zevon's last appearance on Letterman...


2 comments:

Traci Brimhall said...

Holy Flying Monkeys! I can't wait to own "After the Ark"! Huge congrats Luke!

Luke Johnson said...

Thanks Traci! I'm honored you want to own it! Fortunately, lots of us will be owning yours quite soon...