Wednesday, December 17, 2008


So I found out today that storySouth is changing editors. Right now they've got a "best of" up on the site, featuring poems, stories, and essays published by the magazine in the past seven years. It's really a feast. Definitely check it out, but set aside some time because you're going to want to read it all.


Former (as of about three weeks ago, it seems) poetry editor of storySouth, Dan Albergotti has started a very cool new online journal based at Coastal Carolina University called Waccamaw. So far they've published some great stuff, including poetry by big-shots Natasha Trethewey, Jack Gilbert, and Linda Gregg, also some lesser-known amazing poets like Kevin Boyle, Rhett Trull and Brian Turner. Check it out.


To keep with the over-arching theme of this post. Drew Perry, a teacher of mine at Elon, will be taking over as the fiction editor at storySouth. This is very cool. I borrowed virtually everything I do as a teacher from Drew--whether or not this is a compliment remains to be seen, I get to see my student evaluations after grades are in--but I know this ensures the continuing vitality of storySouth as one of the best online outlets for literature.


Pandora pick of the week: Ellis Paul
Reading (still): "About Grace" by Anthony Doerr--cannot stress enough how much I'm enjoying this book. Every single sentence does work. The language, the scenes, are so incredibly alive.


RSVPed to a Christmas party at the President's house for "faculty, staff, and retirees." Fellow teaching fellow and poet Will Schutt and I plan on attending in our holiday best. Should be interesting.

1 comment:

Drew Perry said...

you found me -- you're now one of the few who knows about my little quiet project.

i know i owe you ideas about that stack of poems -- end of the year has been insane. i'll get at you as soon as i can.

i like 'proof' --