Friday, August 6, 2010

Down with August


Having just sent out an early galley to some folks for my own blurbs, this seemed pertinent to me. For whatever it's worth, I didn't send to anyone who was a teacher of mine for an extended period of time. I sent to two folks who I've never studied under (one was on the faculty at my grad school, though I never took a class with him), one writer who I worked with for 2 weeks at a summer conference, and one who I took a semester-long course with at Hollins (she was a writer-in-residence). Surely, I feel as though I have some connection to these people, otherwise I don't know why I'd expect them to do me the favor of reading the manuscript. I did make a conscious effort to send to writers who had not seen the book as a whole, who had not seen more than a handful of poems of mine (two of them had never seen any, unless they sought them out on their own...), and lastly and perhaps most obviously: writers whose work I admire. I wanted them to discover the book in the same way that any other reader would. Thoughts on this, blurbists and blurbees of the blogosphere?

******************


-Julia Johnson on the recent shake-up at the University of Southern Mississippi, a school I was considering applying to for a Creative Writing PhD (still not certain I'm applying at all...), but now will definitely not be...

******************


via Slate

*****************

1 comment:

Jeannine said...

Interesting thoughts about blurbs. With my first book and now with my new one, I wanted the blurb-writers to reflect something aesthetically about the book - so I asked writers who not only did I admire, but whose writing might be similar enough in one way or the other that someone picking up the pick might correctly assume, oh, I like so-and-so, so I might like the writer so-and-so blurbs. For my new book, since it's based on so much Japanese mythology, I asked some prominent mythology-studies folks (who are artists and writers) to do some blurbs.