Sunday, October 18, 2009

Poems

A new-ish poem, one of two that has been written since school started. This makes me very nervous. Anyway, the writing group peeps will recognize this, and it's to disappear shortly:

*plish*

*****************

I miss having people around who care about poetry. Maybe it's just people in general. Yeah.


******************

Happy where I am, but just for kicks, and very likely because of the above statement, I plan on throwing my hat in a few rings this Winter. The fellowships: Stegner, Wisconsin, Provincetown, Colgate, and the Philip Roth residency at Bucknell. And, for now, the creative writing PhDs: Florida State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Texas Tech, Southern Miss, Illinois-Chicago, and Utah. One or two off of that last list will likely drop based on my willingness to take the GRE Subject Test (a terrible reason, I admit).

******************

Killer first line of the moment:

"Pretty face, pretty girl,"

from Ellen Bryant-Voigt's "Variations: Two Trees"
(Messenger: New and Selected Poems 1976-2006, W.W. Norton, 2007)

******************

Growing up in Ithaca, there wasn't much in the way of professional sports. But we had Cornell hockey. If you didn't know, Cornell's Lynah Rink is the equivalent of Duke's Cameron Indoor when it comes to rowdiness. What can I say, smart kids know how to coordinate clever chants. So with that in mind and college hockey getting underway...

2 comments:

Marcus said...

What a stellar poem, Luke. It has such a emorable ending line.

Marcus

newzoopoet said...

Yay to WC poems!